I cannot talk about post-production much, as I was simply not involved in it. However, what can be said is that there were major communication issues. First, the plan was to edit Thursday and Friday, with a polishing session the following Wednesday (6th of June). I would come in on the Friday and Wednesday to act as a fresh pair of eyes to help critique the edit and suggest improvements. When I came in on Friday... there was no-one there. I assumed something had changed with their plan and they simply had forgotten to inform me. The plan to meet on Friday and Wednesday was made before the deadline was pushed back, so naturally the schedule would have changed. I emailed Sam via Hotmail and both Nicole and Sam via college email asking if Wednesday was still on. This was a mistake, since I previously knew they didn't check their college email regularly, but assumed Sam would reply via Hotmail. I was wrong.
Come Wednesday, I came in again to find them nowhere to be seen. To compound matters, I bumped into Tommy, who gave me second-hand knowledge that half the footage wasn't recorded because Paul didn't press the record button, and that the day-for-night effect hadn't worked. While the prior rumour was later debunked, I'd simply recorded part of the scene on the other camera thus appearing like there was missing footage, the day-for-night indeed hadn't worked, but they had gotten it to a point where it looked at least like dusk. In of itself the reality wasn't much of a problem, the issue was that due to bad communication I had gotten the impression that the editing had been a disaster when in fact there were some issues that while problematic wouldn't result in an incomplete film as I believed from Tommy's account. Simple, proper communication would have solved this issue promptly, and the fact that I wasn't given correct information shows just how bad communication was during the editing process. In hindsight, I really should have pushed more to get in contact, but at that point I felt like the thing was such a disaster that nothing could help, so my presence would only cause stress as I demanded explanations.
No comments:
Post a Comment