For the Specialism module, I developed and outline for and the beginning pages of a screenplay for a hypothetical movie. The concept for said movie was to act as a 'backdoor pilot' for an animated television series, and more information on the subject can be found here. I now had three main characters intended for animation, and thus were ripe with possibility for this module.
As I've gone over before, the focus of this module isn't in creating full body designs, but to pin down individual elements that would be used in a full design, eyes, hands, legs etc. that communicate the 'feel' of the character. The three main characters of focus here are similar in some respects and very different in others, requiring very different design choices and ethics to work with. The three main characters are thus:
NINA - Female, early thirties, Native American, dark hair.
- Washed-up, alcoholic, cynical, adept leader behind layer of nonchalance
ALYSSA - Female, early
twenties, Caucasian, blind, ginger hair.
- Outgoing, fun-loving, friendly, caring.
JON - Male, mid twenties, Caucasian, blonde hair.
- Guarded, introverted, untrusting, unfriendly, secretive.
Thus I had a base to build from. While there are similarities between the characters, both Jon and Nina are negative people whereas Alyssa is a very positive person for example, the roster is varied enough to give good subjects for this module's experimentation. I had to dig deep to think about specifics of their design I wanted from the outset, such as imagining both Nina and Jon to have short, cropped hairstyles in comparison to Alyssa's long, flowing hair, since you have a vague image of characters when you're writing them anyway, I just needed to clarify that image a little to have something to work towards initially.
As it would turn out, initial plans have a tendency to change...
No comments:
Post a Comment